What if I choke?
You are a level 2 or a Reiki Master. You’ve read the books, practiced, learned the hand position, memorized all the symbols and even know the history of Japan. You now feel ready (almost) to begin treating people.
But what if you choke? What if the Reiki doesn’t work? What if you don’t know what to do or say?
This is a common worry. I think no matter what your situation or circumstances, everyone feels this from time to time. Its ok, that’s why we practice and we continue to learn and improve. No one knows “IT ALL” So relax.
I will share with you what I tell my phenomenal Reiki students; maybe it will help you too.
1. Before the session begins: Cleanse the treatment space, format your paperwork, gather any handouts and have your business cards ready. Being prepared will help you relax. A clean, tidy and organized room says you are serious about the treatment.
2. Deep breath. Now try to relax. This should be a relaxing experience for the client, so you need to calm down too. Just breathe and you will be fine.
3. Light some candles, incense or start some relaxing music.
4. When the client arrives: Discuss (if you haven’t already) what the client should expect and any fees you are charging. Agree on the length of time for the treatment.
5. Answer their questions on Reiki. Its ok if you don’t have all the answers or information, just be honest. After the session find out the information & get back with them via a follow up call or email.
6. Discuss what health issues trouble them and what they want to work on. Reiterate that we do not diagnose or prescribe.
7. Have the client fill out their contact information and sign a “Hold Harmless Agreement” (in the states.)
8. Have the client sit or lay on the table. Explain you are about to begin and they can talk or sleep. Whatever needs to happen will, some people have an emotional release during the session, this is a place of no judgment. Start the timer.
9. Take another deep breath, ground yourself with the earth, check into Reiki and make the power sign.
10. Clear your mind. Reiki is so brilliant in that we do not direct the energy. The energy goes where it is needed, just allow the energy to flow.
11. Begin the session, try to keep your mind clear and just allow the Reiki to flow. Give it some time to connect. If it seems like it is taking a bit too long to flow, then make the power symbol over the client.
12. Now relax and let it the Reiki energy flow. You will do great.
I can tell you it gets easier the more you practice.
Ms. Mercer has been a Certified Reiki Sensei (Teacher) since 2004. She owns the Serenity Reiki Clinic, and travels the world teaching, speaking and treating people with Reiki and multicultural healing modalities.
Leave a Reply.
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.
Reiki Master Teacher,
"Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity."
“To teach is to learn twice.”
“Because you are alive, everything is possible.” ― Thích Nhất Hạnh
"The purpose of a spiritual teacher is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon."
- Sarah Mercer
“Instructions for living a life.
Tell about it.”